Pages

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Rug Hooking Delight

I had the pleasure of meeting a wonderful multi-media artist whose primitive hooked rugs and a selection of other work are part of the current show at Flinn Gallery inside Greenwich Library. The show is called "Little Treasures" and runs through June 24th. If you're in the area, do stop by! You can see more of Leslie's work on her website and several of the pieces in this show on my Flikr page: Olenka5.
I happened to notice that a demonstration of this hooking art form would take place this past Saturday, so I zipped down and was delighted by the work and the artist.
I sat in the 'guest' chair and had the opportunity to learn how to hook the wool strips through a burlap backing. Fascinating. After doing a straight line for a couple of inches, Leslie suggested I try making a curve. Not as easy as it looks when just looking at a piece that's finished! As in so many art forms, the technique is simple, but still takes lots of practice to develop the skill to convey ones vision in flowing lines and rhythmic color changes.
Wishing you fun explorations of the primitive figures you imagine!

1 comment:

Liz G said...

Olenka, your photos are fantastic, as usual. I've always admired this art form, and Leslie's work is lovely and inspiring. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!