Pages

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Reunion with Liz Gorski

The soul-hugging view from my sister's property in the Catskills. It is very similar to the place I spent wonderful Summers as a teenager, camping with the Polish Girl Scouts (ZHP). Most of us went our separate ways into adult life holding memories of those special days that shaped our life. A few months ago I received an email from a woman asking whether I was the same Olenka she remembered from camp, when she was 12 and I was 15! She was doing internet research on mosaics and had found my blog. It touched me deeply to hear her speak of a simple kindness I had offered her at camp which had made an impression that lasted all these years. 

After several months of exchanged emails, Liz invited me to attend a chamber music concert at the Morgan Library with her. This past Friday we finally met in Manhattan. What a treat! It's amazing how deep are the connections forged by childhood experiences. It felt as if she was a friend I simply hadn't seen in a few months (instead of decades!) and we were catching up over a cup of coffee. Thanks for reaching out, Liz, and for the concert and the walk down memory lane. I look forward to our next visit!

The little girl I met in yesteryear is now an accomplished musician, artist and crossword puzzle creator. Do visit her website at http://primroseneedleworks.com/ and her blog http://howtomakeanamericansampler.com/

1 comment:

~PakKaramu~ said...

Happy mother's day